For Immediate Release – June 2, 2020
The Alliance for the Low-Income and First-Generation Narrative (AL1GN) joins the millions of people worldwide who are mourning the Black men, women, and children lost to violence and racism. We are saddened and enraged at the disregard for Black lives showcased in the media over the past few weeks and call for all perpetrators to be held fully accountable.
We join you in asking #HowManyMore and demand action from all facets of U.S. society to protect Black people from further violence and victimization. While our hearts are heavy with grief, we resolve to use this anger and frustration to renew our commitment to our values.
- Share Black stories wholly and with all their complexities
- Curate a list of mental health resources and make them accessible on our website
- Dedicate time and space at our national conference for healing and remembrance
- Speak out against racism in all its forms and advocate for equitable policies on campus
- Educate our conference attendees on efforts to support Black students and racial justice efforts on campus
We know that silence in the face of oppression is both complicit and anti-Black. As a multiracial conference series and coalition that prides itself in fostering equity and inclusion, we join you in shouting #JusticeforAhmaud, #JusticeforBreonna, and #JusticeforGeorge from every rooftop.
Co-Founder & Co-Executive Director